Safe and Fun NYC Things to Do
- 50 Awesome and Safe Things to Do in NYC
- Open in NYC: 9-11 Memorial, The Highline, Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Edge, The Bronx Zoo, Liberty Island, in-person Sample Sales. MoMA, The Met, Natural History, Madame Tussauds and much more.
- NEW Traveler Quarantine Guidelines - Only 3 days with negative Covid tests
Safe, Clean Manhattan Accommodations
Oi! (Hi! in Portuguese). I’m looking for a well-situated, cheap, but good place to stay suggestions. It’s going to be my first time traveling alone and I’m completely lost, so please help me! I don’t know what are the good areas of the town to stay, I mean, where it’s a good place to be if you want to do the tourist things and don’t want to spend much time (or money) in transportation?
I would like to have a private room with bathroom, but I won’t have much money…I don’t know the exactly days yet, but it’s going to be 3 or 4 days sometime between July 6th and July 15th
Obrigada! (Thank you!) – Mari
Ps: I apologize for any English mistakes
NYC Insider Guide Answer:
Hi Mari! Welcome to NYC and thanks for your question.
Every hotel listed on the NYC Insider Guide is in a prime, centrally located area of Manhattan. Most tourists love Times Square and like to stay there, however there are plenty of other great neighborhoods in which to stay. SoHo, Midtown East, Midtown West, it really doesn’t matter where you choose off this website as all of our hand picked hotels will put you within 20 minutes of anything else in Manhattan.
At the time of this writing, the Chelsea Pines Inn is both the #1 hotel in ALL of NYC and the #1 Affordable hotel! How great is that?
Some of our top pages for searching safe, clean Manhattan accommodations include:
- Cheap Hotels in Times Square
- Cheap Budget Hotels in NYC
- Discount NYC Hotels (some shared bathrooms)
- How to Save on New York City Hotels
Though you are coming at a busy time of year, any of the hotels on these pages will provide you a great value, most will have a private room and bathroom, and all are in great areas of Manhattan. Even if you are not in Times Square, you will be within 10 minutes by subway. Good Luck!
How to Save on Hotels in New York City
Check out all our tips and dozens of promo codes to help save on NYC Hotels. Whether you are visiting NYC on a budget, or just looking to save a little on luxury, we share all our insight on How to Save on Hotels in New York City.
Top of New York City Hotel Deals
Hotels in NYC Cheap But Good Comments
Aug 19, 2011
Comfort Inn, Times Square, New York
I just wanted to highly recommend the Comfort Inn at Times Square. We spent 5 nights there, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was spotless, the staff extremely friendly and having the breakfast included in the price was fantastic. The actual location of the hotel was superb as you are literally just off Times Square, and considering how close you are the hotel is very quiet.
More Hotels in NYC Cheap but Good
Mar 06, 2010
We are arriving at JFK on 4 July and will be staying in NYC for 5 nights. We are looking for a decent, but inexpensive place to stay for two adults and three children. I don’t know if it’s best to stay near the airport and travel into the city daily, stay in the heart of Manhattan, or stay in near-by NJ? If you have a recommendation for as low as 100$ or so per night, that would be great!
NYC Insider Guide Answer:
Hi Debbie – to be honest, finding cheap hotels in NYC, with your requirements is near impossible. A room on a holiday weekend in Manhattan under $100 for 5 people? I was almost at a loss for such cheap hotels in NYC, but reached out to my 600 native NY friends on Facebook and they came up with some great suggestions.
Cheap hotels outside of NYC can cost a lot in terms of vacation time (2-3 hours/day travel time). Here are some places in Manhattan for you to check, as recommended by my friends:
Holiday Inn – check on their “kids stay free” policy.
- Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Times Square South
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
- Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street
- Holiday Inn Express New York – Manhattan West Side
- Holiday Inn Express NYC Madison Square Garden
- Holiday Inn Manhattan – Financial District
- Holiday Inn NYC – Lower East Side
- Holiday Inn NYC – Manhattan 6th Avenue – Chelsea
More Cheap Hotel suggestions:
- West Side YMCA
- nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel – 32nd street. I’ve stayed for under $79.00 per in July. Clean and good location. (formerly the Red Roof Inn)
- Harlem Hostel
All the answers to whether to stay in Manhattan or outside of it are in the Vacation Guide – airport distances, hotel searches, using the subway and more. They key is to research how far you will be traveling by subway or bus, as taxis will be cost-prohibitive for you.
Please do come back and let me know what you come up with. Good luck!