Top NYC Things to Do
- Children's Halloween Parade & Costume Contest (Virtual)
- NYC Open, Closed and Rescheduled
- Watch Broadway Shows Online
- Explore NYC from Home
- Open in NYC: 9-11 Memorial, The Highline, Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Edge, The Bronx Zoo, Liberty Island, in-person Sample Sales. MoMA (Aug 27), The Met, Natural History
- Outdoor dining, personal care (spa, nails), tennis, volleyball, basketball, places of worship & indoor dining (@ 25 % capacity), gyms (limited capacity).
Walk, Taxi or Other?
We are coming on bus to the Javits Center going to the Auto Show on April 23rd. We (2 ladies and a teen) want to go to Rock Center. Would we be able to walk there, safely, that is?
Doesn’t sound too far but Javits seems off by itself. Or do you think we would be able to find a cab easily near the Javits Center? Thanks, Nan (Elmira, NY)
NYC Insider Guide Answer:
Hi Nan! The Javits Center (11th/12th Aves, 34th/ 39th Sts) is definitely off the beaten path. During daylight, the walk is safe, just under a mile and not much to see for the first 10 blocks, unless you are going to the Empire State Building (32nd St & 5th Ave). The area is full of parking lots and garages and very commercial. I highly recommend taking a taxi at night and yes, they will be very easy to get, probably lined up in front of the Javits Center.
From almost anywhere else in the city, I always say walk, but that part of town just isn’t worth it. Personally, I think you’re better off getting to Midtown quicker and enjoying your time there. The cab will be $10 – $15 for 3 of you. Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!
Javits to Rockefeller Center Comments
Mar 31, 2011
That is very helpful info. We’re definitely going to go the cab route. Thank you again for responding. Hoping for a nice Spring Day that day.
More From NYC Insider Guide
- New York Auto Show
- Visiting Rockefeller Center
- Hotels Near Rockefeller Center
- Insider Guide to the Top of the Rock