Walk, Taxi or Other?
We are coming on a bus to the Javits Center going to the Auto Show on April 23rd. We (2 ladies and a teen) want to go to Rock Center. Would we be able to walk there, safely, that is?
Doesn’t sound too far but Javits seems off by itself. Or do you think we would be able to find a cab easily near the Javits Center? Thanks, Nan (Elmira, NY)
NYC Insider Guide Answer:
Hi Nan! The Javits Center (11th/12th Aves, 34th/ 39th Sts) is definitely off the beaten path. During daylight, the walk is safe, just under a mile and not much to see for the first 10 blocks, unless you are going to the Empire State Building (32nd St & 5th Ave). The area is full of parking lots and garages and very commercial. I highly recommend taking a taxi at night and yes, they will be very easy to get, probably lined up in front of the Javits Center.
From almost anywhere else in the city, I always say walk, but that part of town just isn’t worth it. Personally, I think you’re better off getting to Midtown quicker and enjoying your time there. The cab will be $10 – $15 for 3 of you. Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!
Javits to Rockefeller Center Comments
Mar 31, 2011
That is very helpful info. We’re definitely going to go the cab route. Thank you again for responding. Hoping for a nice Spring Day that day.
Hotels Near NYC Javits Center
Coming to town for the Boat Show, Comic Con, Motorcycle Show, NYT Travel Show, BroadwayCon, International Toy Fair, Restaurant and Food, The Auto Show, Chocolate Show or any one of dozens of fashion, technology or other industry shows? If your goal is to work hard, play harder, you'll definitely want to stay as close to the Javits Center as possible. Here are our top picks for Hotels Near NYC Javits Center.
- Ink48 Hotel - about 10 blocks from Javits Center, right next to the Intrepid Museum and my ALL time favorite rooftop! (photo)
- Midtown Convention Center Hotel - the closest hotel to the JC, less than a block away. Small, clean rooms, geared towards convention exhibitors and attendees.
- Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel - new "digitally enhanced" hotel in Garment District, 15 min walk to JC, modern, though modest.
More From NYC Insider Guide
- New York Auto Show
- Visiting Rockefeller Center
- Hotels Near Rockefeller Center
- Insider Guide to the Top of the Rock
New York City Vacation Planner
Plan your trip in the RIGHT order and get the most out of NYC...
- New York City Vacation Planner
- Best Time to Visit NYC
- Airport Guides & Luggage Storage
- New York City Hotel Deals
- Get the HOTTEST Tickets
- Half Price Broadway Tickets
- New York City Tours
- NYC Sightseeing Passes
- Things to do in NYC
- Manhattan NYC Maps
- NYC Coupons
- NYC Limos, Taxis, Shuttles and Car Services
- NYC Travel Health & Trip Insurance
- NYC Insider Printable Guide
- Personalized New York Travel Planning