…must-see show if you love 80’s music
In 1987 on the Sunset Strip, a small town girl met a big city rocker and in LA’s most famous rock club, they fell in love to the greatest songs of the 80s. The original Broadway smash-hit production is back to celebrate its 10th anniversary in an open Off Broadway run.
It’s ROCK OF AGES, an arena-rock love story told through the mind-blowing, face-melting hits of Journey, Night Ranger, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, Asia, Whitesnake and many more. Don’t miss this awesomely good time about dreaming big, playing loud and partying on!
Buy Great Broadway Tickets Today!
Top Picks for Broadway Tickets
- StubHub - best selection and seats in the house! NY's most popular and trusted ticket company
- ShowTickets - discounts, great selection, reviews, availability
- Broadway.com - NYC's Broadway experts
- Use Code NYCIG10 for 15% off ALL Tickets
- Direct Tickets - all Ticketmaster shows original source tickets. See telecharge.com for Broadway houses not covered by Ticketmaster
- Ticketmaster Deals - lots of shows with 2 For 1, Me+3 and 4-Pack deals (just saw Frozen listed)
Note: All of our ticket partners are legitimate, recommended ticket sellers and guaranteed to sell you official NYC Broadway tickets.
Back to Top of NYC Broadway Shows
NYC Insider Guide Rock of Ages Broadway Review
After getting my Rock of Ages Broadway Musical discount tickets, I was pretty excited to see some 80’s music on Broadway!
Short Review of Rock of Ages Broadway Musical
- Second act much better than the first, show finished strong
- Must-see show if you love 80’s music
- Mild profanity, generally teen-age friendly
- Wonderful fun show, great for a girls or boys night out and if you’re crazy a good old 80s rock concert
Rock of Ages pretty much stole my iPod and turned it into a Broadway Musical. The theater is small, so any seat in the house is great, including the very last row. The set is great and we were sat with our Playbills and little fake lighters that were really flashlights, meant to be used as if we were at a Rock Concert.
We also had the option of buying drink tokens so we could be served during the show by the cocktail waitress. Buying the tokens in advance keeps you from having to deal with wallets and change during the show. The music playing while we were waiting for the show to start was great and people were already dancing.
Rock of Ages opens as if you’re actually in an LA Club in the 80s, and due to the theater size, it’s quite realistic. Great songs included Sister Christian, I Wanna Rock and We’re Not Gonna Take It, I Can’t Fight This Feeling and Don’t Stop Believin’. The lead female character’s name is Sherry, so you can guess what one of the big songs was!
The first act of Rock of Ages Broadway finished weak, but the second act completely made up for it and the show finished really strong. In the second act, characters I couldn’t quite figure out at the beginning, became the stars of the show.
The music really picked up, except for a strange “Heat of the Moment” and “I Hate Myself for Loving You” mix I thought was a bit weird. Just as I would get into it and start singing out loud, they would switch songs. Hmmm, maybe I was just embarrassed to be caught singing the wrong words out loud.
Tony Awards 2009 – Rock of Love reality star and Poison band singer, Bret Michaels, hit the stage with his band Poison, along with the cast of Broadway’s Rock of Ages and fell down after being hit by a piece of scenery following his performance of “Nothin’ But a Good Time.” He was knocked to the ground, fractured his nose and required three stitches in his lip. He’s fine now, but it sure put Rock of Ages Broadway Musical on the Tony Map!
Most Popular Broadway Shows
See All: List of Broadway Shows
- Off Broadway June 19, 2019 – Open Run
- New World Stages Theater
- Broadway: April 7, 2009 – January 18, 2015