Re-Opened May 1, 2015 – American Art
The Whitney Museum of American Art offers a full range of twentieth-century and contemporary American art, with a special focus on works by living artists, often purchasing works within the year they are created, well before the artists become broadly recognized. If you are interested in the next hot American artist, the Whitney Museum is must-see!
The New Whitney Museum
Photograph by Timothy Schenck
The Whitney Museum has always been on the cutting edge, and figures such as Jasper Johns, Cy Twombly, and Cindy Sherman were given their first museum retrospectives by the Whitney. The new museum building (opened May 2015) includes approximately 50,000 square feet of indoor galleries and 13,000 square feet of outdoor exhibition space and terraces facing the High Line.
The Whitney offers more than 12,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings, and photographs, representing nearly 2,000 individual artists and providing the most complete overview of twentieth-century American art of any museum in the world.
Visiting The Whitney Museum
- Plan a fabulous time in the Meatpacking District by walking the Highline and exploring the Whitney
- Tickets are Adults $22, Senior/Students $18, Members and 18 and under free.
- Pay-What-You-Wish Admission, Fridays 7-10 pm.
- Admission included with the New York Pass.
View from Whitney Museum Rooftop
West View from the Whitney Museum Rooftop
Photo via (@Jordana_Z)
The Museum offers fine dining the ground floor and casual fare on the 8th floor. Untitled (yes, that is the name), is the new fine dining restaurant from Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, helmed by Chef Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern. The eighth floor Studio Cafe features toasts, soups, salads, and other light fare.
Inside the Whitney Museum
Hotels Near The Whitney Museum
Plus you are right near the West Side Greenway, offering 30+ miles of biking/running completely cut off from NYC traffic.
More Info: Meatpacking District Hotels
Whitney Museum More Info
- Address: 99 Gansevoort St, New York, NY 10014
(b/w Washington St & 10th Avenue)
- Website: www.whitney.org
- Hours: Mon & Wed: 10:30 – 6pm, Thurs, Fri & Sat 10:30 -10:00pm, Sun 10:30-6pm
- Closed Tuesdays, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
- Neighborhood Guide: Meatpacking District