Fireworks, Boat Cruise, Festivals, BBQ, Rooftops
July 4th in New York City is amazing! The weather is almost always wonderful and our July 4th celebrations, including the Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks®, which will (almost definitely) return to the East River in 2017 and light up the night from two locations – the Brooklyn Bridge and 23rd to 37th Streets!
Make sure to check sightseeing and holiday hours for Tuesday, July 4, 2017. Add your event to the July 4th in NYC Events Activities calendar.
Top Picks for July 4th NYC Activities and Events
NYC Insider Tip – Best Place to See Fireworks?
Personally, I think the BEST view of the 2017 New York City Fireworks is from a boat cruise on the water. Here’s why…
If you want to watch them from land, be prepared for crowds, long waits, packing your food and drinks, carrying your stuff and umm…restrooms? Good luck.
A hotel with a roof deck is also a great option. The 2017 fireworks will (almost definitely) be held over the East River, from two locations – the Brooklyn Bridge and 23rd to 37th Streets, giving you lots of viewing options!
Rooftops, Hotels, Restaurants with Views of 4th of July NYC 2017 Fireworks
Z Hotel Long Island City
Where will you watch the July 4th fireworks this year? A rooftop, lounge, hotel, restaurant?
All July 4th Trip Advisor reviews are from the East River Fireworks:
2017 July 4th Fireworks NYC Viewing Options:
Park South Hotel – July 4th reviews, ‘The rooftop patio was an amazing bonus and we had a great view of the fireworks’ and ‘…for added pleasure the Roof bar was fabulous we watched the fireworks’
NYC Insider Note: I have spoken with the concierge @ Park South and they are definitely reserving part of their rooftop for hotel guests only for July 4th fireworks viewing. If you have any questions, please contact Samoya (swhyte at parksouthhotel.com) and let her know NYCIG sent you!
- Discount Rates: Park South Hotel
- Compare Rates: Park South Hotel
- 124 East 28th Street, NY, NY 10016 (Gramercy)
Dumont NYC – July 4th reviews, ‘What an amazing experience viewing the show from my room on the 33rd floor.’ and ‘We were able to see the 4th of July Fireworks from our hotel room!’ and ‘We were with our 3 boys and requested the telescope and a high floor to see the fireworks. They were very accommodating and gave us a corner room on the 31st floor. We could see the East River and downtown’
- Discount Rates: Dumont NYC
- Compare Rates: Dumont NYC
- 150 East 34th St, NY, NY 10016 (Kips Bay/Midtown East)
The Standard, East Village – July 4th reviews, ‘The Hotel itself is a gem with wonderful views of south Manhattan. July 4th fireworks were easily seen. The Restaurants are excellent – a definite NY vibe less pretentious than Standard Highline. I gladly recommend this gem’ and "wanted a room with a view of the East River, so we could see fireworks. She went beyond to find us the PERFECT room"
- Discount Rates: The Standard East Village
- Compare Rates: The Standard, East Village
- 25 Cooper Square, NY, NY 10003 (East Village)
Millenium Hilton – here’s what one reviewer had to say about his July 4th stay: ‘The hotel is right across from the Macy’s July 4th Fireworks…We were on a higher floor (40+) in an "01" corner room… and out our east windows, we had a fabulous view of the Brooklyn Bridge, the East River and Long Island.’
- Discount Rates: Millenium Hilton
- Compare Rates: Millenium Hilton
- 55 Church Street, NY, NY 10007 (Financial District)
Hotel Indigo – ‘The room was large, and had a great view towards the east and the south, giving wonderful views of the July 4th fireworks. The hotel is in the heart of things, with the bars and restaurants of the LES all a short walk way.’
- Discount Rates: Hotel Indigo
- Compare Rates: Hotel Indigo
- 171 Ludlow Street, NY, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)
New York Marriott Downtown – July 4th reviews, ‘Came to see the Macy’s fireworks display on July 4th….short walk from this hotel to the Brooklyn Bridge… I had a corner room with an awesome view of Ellis Island’ and ‘We braved the crowds at the fireworks but if your room faces the bridge and is high enough up, you could see them right from your room!’
- Discount Rates: New York Marriott Downtown
- Compare Rates: New York Marriott Downtown
- 85 West Street, NY, NY 10006 (Financial District)
Trump SoHo – "They made sure I had a view of the east river so we could see the Fourth of July fireworks. I will definitely be staying there again." and "so very helpful in situating us in the best room possible to view the 4th of july fireworks and a tremendous view of the Empire State Building"
Best Western Plus Seaport – ‘balcony has an excellent view of the city and we had a good spot to watch the fireworks’ and ‘location was perfect for celebrating the 4th of July! There were bands and a street fair all around the hotel and the view of the fireworks was great! We were in room 308 and could see the show and hear the music!’
- Discount Rates: Best Western Plus Seaport Inn
- Compare Rates: Best Western Plus Seaport Inn
- 33 Peck Slip, NY, NY 10038 (South Street Seaport)
- Note: This hotel has very mixed reviews – read carefully.
Hotel on Rivington – offers panoramic city and East River views from their spectacular Penthouse roofdeck. Their Fireworks Party offers a luxurious July 4th experience with live DJ, open bar and a prime view of the East River fireworks in one of NYC’s hippest neighborhoods! Enjoy 360 degree breathtaking panoramic views of downtown, midtown, uptown Manhattan, Brooklyn, and beyond!
- Compare Rates: Hotel on Rivington
- Discount Rates: Hotel on Rivington
- Direct Site: Independence Day at Hotel on Rivington
- 107 Rivington Street, NY, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)
Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park – ‘we were given a room on the 64th floor! Looking out of the window the Rockefeller building was in front of us, Times Square to the right and Central Park to the left. We even watched the 4th of July fireworks from our room’
See More: July 4th Fireworks Hotels New York City
Not Confirmed for 2017 Yet:
The Ides Rooftop Bar at the Wythe Hotel -The Ides will open at 7:30pm for a ticketed entry ($25) for access to the bar and fireworks display at 9:00pm. Fill up while they grill house-made sausages, along with german potato salad which will be available to accompany cold beers and sparkling rosé (all for purchase).
- Compare Rates: Wythe Hotel Reviews
- Direct Site: Wythe Hotel 4th of July
- 80 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249 (Williamsburg)
July 4th Fireworks Boat Cruises
Enjoy the fireworks over the East River with your choice of NYC Boat Cruises. As mentioned above, I think the BEST view of the fireworks is from the water. Plus, it doesn’t matter where the fireworks are – you’ll always have a front row spot! Book your seat on a variety of private, upscale and family-friendly parties, with on-board DJ’s to get you dancing the night away, plus food and drinks.
Hornblower July 4th Fireworks Cruises
Hornblower, one of the most popular NYC cruise lines offers a choice of July 4th cruises in 2017 aboard The Hybrid (photo) or The Espirit. All cruises include prime views of fireworks from the East River, food and open bar, DJs and dancing, as well as indoor and outdoor space on the boats.
All July 4th Cruises are GUARANTEED to sell out before the end of June, and price jumps will happen in May and June. Early birds ALWAYS get the best pricing.
Special NYC Insider Discount – by using our links below, you will save $5 off any cruise ticket. Discounts will be reflected after adding tickets to your cart. You can read more about the July 4th Cruises at hornblowernewyork.com, but to get your discount, please use links below to purchase.
July 4th Fireworks Boat Cruises 2017
- Admiral’s July 4th Fireworks Cruise or Nautical July 4th Fireworks Cruise (family-friendly) – 5 hour cruise includes passed appetizers, American picnic-style buffet, premium open bar, cruise-style seating, live DJ, after-dinner dancing, and soda, juice, coffee, and tea. Sail on the upscale Luxury Hybrid Yacht (photo above – Nautical cruise is Lower/Main Deck only, Admiral’s includes Upper Deck/Atrium). Board @ 6pm, Cruise 7-11:30pm. Casual attire.
- Premier July 4th Cruise (21+ only) – step up your July 4th game in 2017, grab your spots on the luxury Hornblower Esprit Yacht and enjoy your prime view of the fireworks while the Moët & Chandon bubbles are flowing. This exclusive luxury cruise includes a six-course gourmet dinner, top shelf open bar and wine pairings, entertainment and individual seating. 21+ only. Cocktail attire. Board @ 6:30 pm, Cruise 7-11 pm.
Classic Harbor July 4th Fireworks Cruises
Classic Harbor cruises offers a choice of at least 5 different July 4th Fireworks cruises and they have a special treat just for YOU!
Make sure to head over to: July 4th Fireworks Cruise and save $5 on any cruise ticket with code "INSIDER5". These cruises SELL OUT QUICKLY – please book early!!!
Each cruise or sail will have some light fare and an open bar for you to enjoy. Highlights of the 5 boat options:
- Manhattan II – largest, most spacious and luxurious vessel. The glassed in, climate-controlled cabin and open bow offers guests plenty of room to walk around and enjoy the different views of the harbor and fireworks show. This is the most elegant of the cruises and has the most food.
- Yacht Manhattan – a smaller version of Manhattan II, still with an elegant feel, drinks served in real glasses, crew walks around with hors d’ oeuvres.
- Schooner America 2.0 Sailboat – more laid back than the Yachts, heavy passed hors d’oeuvres. Guests tend to find a seat and hang out for the duration of the cruise, while the crew comes to them for beverage service.
- Schooner Adirondack Sailboat – similar to above, slightly lighter food far.
- Yacht Kingston – smallest and most intimate of the vessels, an enclosed cabin with large windows as well as an open bow. Light hors d’ oeuvres served.
July 4th Fireworks BBQ, Boat Cruise and NYC Tour – FULL DAY!
Book your July 4th day as part of a July 4th Fireworks Hotel Package or separately. Fill your entire day with hosted July 4th festivities:
More Info: July 4th BBQ, Tour and evening Fireworks Cruise.
Start your 4th of July NYC with BBQ Over Broadway from 1pm until 3:30pm on the Supernova Restaurant’s outdoor terrace. Continue with a guided tour of historical Manhattan and finish your holiday with the World Yacht Duchess cruise with buffet dinner and open bar. The 4th of July NYC fireworks BBQ Day ALWAYS sells out, so don’t get left behind!
Madame Tussauds Ghostbusters Experience
From the eerie underground tracks of the NYC subway to the basement of a haunted mansion to Ghostbusters Headquarters to the streets of Times Square, brace yourself for several spooks and even catch a ride on Ecto-2. The Ghostbusters Experience is a multi-layered and sensory environment immersing you into a fantastical and spirited world, inspired by the 2016 film.
July 4th in New York City – Attractions
Many New York City Tourist Attractions are open 365 days per year, although some with limited hours. July 4th may be a great day to try and see some of the more popular attractions as many people will be celebrating the holiday.
July 4th in New York City – Open Attractions
- Statue of Liberty
- Empire State Building (365 days)
- Top of the Rock and most of Rockefeller Center (365 days)
- Madame Tussauds Wax Museum (365 days)
- New York City Bus Tours
- Times Square – Hershey’s Store, M&M Store, Hard Rock Cafe and more
- Central Park – Zoo, Carousel
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum (Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas)
- Guggenheim Museum (closed Thursdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day)
- Museum of Modern Art (Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m)
- American Museum of Natural History (Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas)
- (Closed 2016) New York Botanical Garden (Closed most Mondays and Christmas Day)
Save BIG on July 4th with a Discount New York City Pass!
Get savings coupons and find the best New York City Pass Discounts for your July 4th in New York City.
NY Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays
July 4th Broadway Shows NYC 2017
NYC Insider Print Map and Guide to Manhattan
Download over 100 pages of NYC maps, information and recommendations in less than 5 minutes! Our NYC Insider Printable Map Guide Book includes organized, easy to follow, color coded guides to NYC, detailed maps of every neighborhood, weekly chart of Free Museum Days and Times and free weekly neighborhood tours, Best of NYC Categories and lists by ALL native New Yorkers and much more.
The New York City Travel Guide is your NYC PRE VACATION Guide, sort of like, “New York City 101.” This book is an overview of NYC to help you PLAN your trip so you make the absolute MOST of your time and money here. Think of this book as the guide to answer all the most commonly asked questions and avoid the most common NYC Vacation and Trip Planning mistakes.
The NYC Map Printable Bonus Guide is a 14 page downloadable Bonus Guide, compiled of the best free, downloadable local neighborhood maps with stores and shops block by block put together by our local NYC neighborhood associations; all formatted and ready for you to print.
Back to Top of July 4th in New York City
New York City Hotels with Pools
While a few of our hotels with pools are family-friendly, most are adult party zones with skyline views, cocktails, private cabanas and summer long pool parties. We highlight more than 10 family-friendly and adults-only hotel pools, many with day-pass availability for NYC locals.
See More: New York City Hotels with Pools
Back to Top of July 4th in New York City
NYC Hotels with Free Bicycles
If had to pick my FAVORITE way to explore NYC, it would be on bicycle! Don't miss out on your choice of NYC hotels with free bicycles, allowing you to explore hidden nooks of NYC you can't see any other way. Some of our top value picks include:
See the Insider Guide for dozens more NYC Hotels with Free Bicycles.
Back to Top of July 4th in New York City
2017 Updates Coming Soon
40th Annual Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks
Monday, July 4, 2016, 9:00pm
Macy’s July 4th Fireworks will be launched from two locations over the East River – the Brooklyn Bridge and 23rd to 37th Streets!
Kenny Chesney, 5 Seconds of Summer, Meghan Trainor and more! Independence Day spectators from coast-to-coast can catch all the action by tuning to NBC’s two-hour national broadcast of Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular beginning at 8:00 PM ET (check local listings). In addition to the pyrotechnic splendor, the 4th of July’s most popular entertainment special will feature performances from the nation’s hottest musical acts.
Macy’s 4th of July NYC 2016 Fireworks Viewing Spots and Barges
(Map from 2015, but 2016 viewing spots are the same)
View the Fireworks Live Over the East River:
America’s most explosive party will take place from two locations on the East River in midtown and within the South Street Seaport historic district. The fireworks may be viewed from any area with an unobstructed view of the sky above the East River.
The public viewing sections will be the elevated portions of FDR Drive with the following entry points:
From Houston to Midtown – Houston, 23rd, 34th, 42nd
From Lower Manhattan – Broad St, Old Slip Upper Level, Pearl & Frankfort, Vietnam Memorial Park
ADA viewing area: FDR Drive Southbound Lane at 16th St & Avenue C or 34th Street
For Brooklyn and Queens locations and other spectator tips, see Macy’s.
July 4th NYC Visitor Questions
Can I watch the fireworks from Central Park?
Not that I know of. There is no vantage point high enough from which to view the fireworks on the East River.
Can Trump SoHo see the see 4th of July fireworks?
Yes, the Trump SoHo hotel offers some rooms with fireworks views. I’m not sure if you can see them from the rooftop pool, however, you’ll have to check with the hotel. See Trump Soho Reviews above.
Can You See the Macy’s fireworks from Weehawken?
No. The current Mayor, DeBlasio, has moved the Fireworks back to the East Side of NY, so more New Yorkers can see them, including those in Queens and Brooklyn. I’ve heard “the fireworks are for New York, not Jersey.” However, I hear New Jersey does have their own fireworks display which may be an option.
Rooftop Restaurants with July 4th Fireworks Parties:
(pending 2016 updates)
- Riverview Restaurant & Lounge – Long Island City
Riverview, which has one the best Manhattan skyline views, especially of the Brooklyn Bridge and East River (probably ALL of the fireworks), is offering standard open bar and a four-star buffet from 6-9 pm and top-shelf open bar 6-10pm for $170 per guest (plus tax & tip). After the fireworks, at 10 pm, get dancing with a DJ and cash bar. More info: www.riverviewny.com
- Fourth of July Fireworks at Brooklyn Grange
- Riverpark’s 4th of July BBQ Bash
NYC Insider Tip: Back in the 90s, when the fireworks were launched from the same barges as those that will be from 23rd to 37th Streets this year, I worked on the 71st Floor of the Empire State Building, and we had FANTASTIC VIEWS of the fireworks.
More Info: July 4th at the Empire State Building.
Who Does NOT Have a View of the Fireworks?
In researching some other posts online, I was wary of the information NON New Yorkers were providing, such as, "to see NYC fireworks this year, the restaurant or upper floors of the Andaz Wall Street would be a good option." – thepointsguy
This is completely incorrect as the Andaz Hotel Rooms do NOT have views of the Brooklyn Bridge (BB), and the restaurant is on the ground floor, with about 100 buildings between it and the BB. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the BB, but you will not see the fireworks from the hotel.
Another old (and now incorrect) article – Best Hotels to View New York City Fireworks. I’ve tried to email USA Today to tell them, but their form doesn’t work.
Back to Top of July 4th in New York City